The Silent Killer
Recent Carbon Monoxide Headlines...
- A blockage in a heating unit led to the death of a 50-year-old man and his dog from CO poisoning.
- A woman and her granddaughter have died of CO poisoning a day after electricity was disconnected at their home...A gas-powered generator in the home is the suspected source of the carbon monoxide.
Learn about my very close call...
What is CO...
CO is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. It is the cause of more than 500 accidental deaths per year and more than 15,000 are made seriously ill by its effects. The symptoms of CO poisoning are often mistaken for the flu.
If the entire family suddenly becomes sick at the same time, suspect elevated CO levels.
Get everyone out of the home!
If your CO alarm goes off and no family members are feeling ill...
- Assume there is a problem and ventilate the home...
- Remember CO is a Silent Killer.
- Turn off all combustion appliances. Learn more about CO sources....
- Call a qualified professional to investigate the possible source of CO in the home
Who is at risk...
Everyone! However, medical experts believe that unborn babies, infants, children, senior citizens and people with heart or lung problems are at an even greater risk. Children and pets often show symptoms first.
How to avoid a problem...
- To protect your family from this silent killer, have your combustion appliances, venting and chimney systems checked once a year.
- Never heat your house with a gas cook top or oven or use a charcoal grill in the house or garage.
- Never leave a car running in the garage even if the doors are open.
- If you purchase a new home have a home inspection done to assure that no problems exist.
- Install a CO detector in your home today it could save your life!
Learn more about CO...
CO Sources ~ CO Symptoms ~ CO Detectors